W2LIE.net: For Scanning... The Place You Ought To Be!

Submit your quote!
http://www.monitorlongisland.com/advertise
Sponsored By:
http://www.breakingnewsnetwork.com     http://www.scannermaster.com/?Click=6262
  http://www.monitorlongisland.com/advertise

Main Menu
Monthly Donations

Please help support this site
Donations will be used to cover monthly web space
Thank You !!

Premium Membership
You are not a Premium Member

Why not sign up today and take advantage of premium benefits?
Benefits include:
  • shopping discounts
  • Web Controlled Radio
  • Immediate Access to Archived Audio
  • Ad Free Browsing

Please Click here for more info

Welcome Guest
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
 Currently Online (22)
There are 11990 members
Newest member: mjwaller

Last Visitors
 Members on Today: 4

Forums
W2LIE.net | Monitor Long Island, Inc. :: Forums :: Site Information :: Site News
Moderators: w2lie, Chieftaz, BobLandau, quint14, LI_Scan_Guy, cwerner, DecodeUp
Go to page       >>  

Roadmap for 2017

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>

Print View Posted: Mon Jan 02 2017, 09:35pm

Posted by: w2liePosts: 2824

User Buff Group ID
Old Display Name: w2lie
Your Admin
Premium Member Premium Member

It has been some time since I've updated the members of the site with some of the plans I have for W2LIE.net

W2LIE.net launched in October 2005 as a way to listen to Nassau FD over the internet.  This was before listening to scanner feeds was as popular as it is today.  Since those days, we've added several new scanner feeds, some are still here, and others have been long gone.   There have been a few changes to the website design and to some of the features that we bring.

In the next year, I would love to push forward and finally get to some of the items that have been sitting in the "to do"list for way too long.  With home projects and a 3 year old to take care of, time has not been there for me.  In addition to running and maintaining W2LIE.net, I've been busy working scanner sales and programming plus Unication Pager products on MonitorLongIsland.com   For the most part, Monitor Long Island, Inc. is the parent or business side of W2LIE.net.

So without any further delay, here are some of the changes I hope to bring in 2017:
  • Remote Radio will be replaced. The PCR-1000 will be swapped with a BCD536HP
    • We are swapping for several reasons.  The Software for the PCR-Server hasn't been updated in some time
    • We won't need to rely on 3 pieces of software to serve the radio
    • BCD536HP supports Trunking, P25 Phase 2, and DMR
    • It has a familiar interface
    • Will support software (Windows) and have a Web Interface as well
    • Goal: Early 2017
  • Unitrunker exports
    • With the release of UniTrunker 2.x, updates to the website should become more frequent
    • I would like to see this be a daily or weekly update if possible
    • Goal: Mid 2017
  • Replacement of the website
    • Swap e107 for Joomla setup
    • e107's development has slowed through the years
    • Joomla is one of the more popular web platforms out there and is more advanced than e107
    • Forums will be updated and support features lacking in e107
    • Tapatalk integration for mobile devices
    • Dynamic web themes for Desktop / Tablet / Mobile devices
    • Goal: By end of 2017
There are plenty of features we plan to keep, and hopefully enhance.   The premium memberships will still be here, but I hope to add more features to premium members only.  The live scanner feeds and archives will also remain.

The swap to Joomla is not something that will be easy.  There is no tool available to convert all the data and tables from e107 to Joomla.  Moving away from e107 and into Joomla has been something I've wanted to do for a while, and I'm hoping that by the end of the year, we'll have made the swap.

We look forward to serving your monitoring needs for the long term, and if there are any suggestions or items you wish to see added to the site, please feel free to let me know.

Happy New Year
Phil / W2LIE

[ Edited Mon Jan 02 2017, 09:37pm ]

Back to top Website MSN IM User Gallery Myspace Facebook YouTube Album

Posted: Mon Jan 09 2017, 02:00am
Posted by: TylerhavPosts: 14

What is remote Radio feature? Thanks. 😀
Posted: Thu Jan 26 2017, 02:12am

User Buff Group ID
Your Admin

Tyler,
Here is the info on the Remote Radio: [link]
Basically, its a radio that you can control and listen to remotely. It is overdue for an overhaul.
Posted: Thu Jan 26 2017, 02:16am

User Buff Group ID
Your Admin

Just an update so you know that things here haven't stalled out.....

I spent a few hours today working on the code for the live feeds.
On the administrative side, I've changed how I catalog the live feeds. Going forward, this will make things easier to manage on the servers, and I still need to go back and move the older files. I'll script those in at a later date, since it's not harming anything where they are now.

Also, we had an issue were if a file was recorded, but was 0 bytes, it would still make it's way into the live feed archives and take up space. I've added a check into the live feed code for these types of files.

The next step is to pull the zero byte listings from the archive database. Again - a cosmetic change to the backend that really won't be seen by anyone, but has been on my list for a long time to fix.
Posted: Tue Mar 07 2017, 12:43pm

User Buff Group ID
Your Admin

Another update

The Joomla swap has begun. This will be a long process to move the site from the current platform to Joomla, but seeing how much work is involved has not slowed me down yet.

There are a few things on the current e107 platform that look very promising, but after weighing all the pros and cons, I'm still thinking the move to Joomla is the best decision for this site and the community that uses it.
Posted: Tue Mar 07 2017, 05:22pm

Posted by: DC2DLSDRPosts: 288
User Buff Group ID

w2lie wrote ...

Another update

The Joomla swap has begun. This will be a long process to move the site from the current platform to Joomla, but seeing how much work is involved has not slowed me down yet.

There are a few things on the current e107 platform that look very promising, but after weighing all the pros and cons, I'm still thinking the move to Joomla is the best decision for this site and the community that uses it.

Will the new platform be the 3.6.5 version which is tried & true or the new 3.7 version? Also any update on the SDR checkout icon? I'm chomping at the bit to buy the new Airspy HF+. Thanks for the updates.

[ Edited Tue Mar 07 2017, 05:25pm ]
Posted: Tue Mar 07 2017, 07:53pm
Posted by: Dave3825usPosts: 1219
Old Display Name: Dave
Premium Member Premium MemberJoined: Fri Mar 24 2006, 10:47pm

DC2DLSDR wrote ...

Also any update on the SDR checkout icon? I'm chomping at the bit to buy the new Airspy HF+. Thanks for the updates.

Where is the SDR check out icon? Never saw that?

Thanks
Posted: Tue Mar 07 2017, 11:41pm

Posted by: DC2DLSDRPosts: 288
User Buff Group ID

It's not up & running yet, he's still working on it.
Posted: Wed Mar 08 2017, 01:44am

User Buff Group ID
Your Admin

That's correct. The new shopping cart will arrive sometime this year, and will include new items, such as SDR's. If you are interested in buying one before the cart goes live, I can give you a link for the category so you can get to buying!

If you are interested, here is the a full Road Map for Monitor Long Island, Inc. It includes all of the updates planned for W2LIE.net

[link]

And to answer the other question, Joomla will sit on the 3.6.x platform for now.

[ Edited Wed Mar 08 2017, 01:45am ]
Posted: Wed Mar 15 2017, 02:13am

User Buff Group ID
Your Admin

This past weekend the live feed page was updated to support Windows 10 devices.  They didn't like the call to Windows Media Player, so it was swapped out to support HTML5's "audio" tag.
The ProScan feeds were updated to 12.0, the latest copy of ProScan.

The User List from this site has now been populated into the Joomla site. We are making some baby steps into the new platform.
We still need to move all of the main content.

Then we'll need to map all the downloads.

Once that is done, I'll install phpbb3 and bridge it with Joomla and then the real fun begins. This is where I am expecting to run into a lot of long hours moving data.

Then we'll be ready to go live with the new site! Stay tuned!

[ Edited Wed Mar 15 2017, 03:10pm ]
W2LIE.net Scanner Programming
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF