W2LIE.net: For Scanning... The Place You Ought To Be!

Submit your quote!
http://www.monitorlongisland.com/advertise
Sponsored By:
http://www.breakingnewsnetwork.com     http://www.scannermaster.com/?Click=6262
  http://www.monitorlongisland.com/advertise

Main Menu
Monthly Donations

Please help support this site
Donations will be used to cover monthly web space
Thank You !!

Premium Membership
You are not a Premium Member

Why not sign up today and take advantage of premium benefits?
Benefits include:
  • shopping discounts
  • Web Controlled Radio
  • Immediate Access to Archived Audio
  • Ad Free Browsing

Please Click here for more info

Welcome Guest
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
 Currently Online (34)
There are 11990 members
Newest member: mjwaller

Last Visitors
 Members on Today: 6

Forums
W2LIE.net | Monitor Long Island, Inc. :: Forums :: Scanner Radio :: Long Island - Suffolk
Moderators: w2lie, Chieftaz, BobLandau, quint14, LI_Scan_Guy, cwerner, DecodeUp
Go to page       >>  

Low band going away

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>

Print View Posted: Mon Feb 19 2018, 07:41pm
Posted by: RADIOTECHPosts: 386
Old Display Name: RADIOTECH

Say goodbye to hearing what most Depts are doing. With 46.46 going away, we’ll be in the dark. A lot of depts activate on their own freq but simulcast or announce calls over 46.46. Now FRES will have 2 UHF simulcasted paging freqs broken up by east and west. Depts that rely on FRES totally will have to get activated on these channels and upgrade to expensive 800mhz equipment to communicate with FRES for operations. The caviot is only FRES will be allowed to activate on these 2 freqs. So no more signal 19’s, no more self activations? Who’s the back-up if FRES new paging system goes down?
Depts that have their own dispatchers and their own freqs will be ok.

In my opinion, what FRES should have done was use 2 of the Medcom VHF Freqs for countywide paging. Say for instance zone west would be 155.280 and zone east 154.415. FRES and all agencies can use these freqs to activate or at least simulcast and or announce their calls for everyone to hear countywide. Motorola still supports VHF paging, so that issue is solved.

I don’t like that only FRES will be allowed to activate on these new UHF freqs. If there’s a system failure, who’s or what’s the backup? This new system will just push us all further in the dark and away from inter-op. It’s being designed to give FRES total control and making them the only game in town. Just some food for thought.

Posted: Wed Feb 21 2018, 12:12am
Posted by: Dave3825usPosts: 1219
Old Display Name: Dave
Premium Member Premium MemberJoined: Fri Mar 24 2006, 10:47pm

When is this taking place? It was first posted in 2016 and I don't hear anyone on these freqs except nassau. And I am in Suffolk.
Posted: Wed Feb 21 2018, 04:35am

The new paging system is basically in place, they’re just not using it yet. 2 UHF freqs, West and east. I think I read the county wants to be off low band activations by 2020. Motorola doesn’t support low band anymore, pagers or parts. So as equipment fails, it won’t be fixed. A lot of Depts page on their own freqs already. Most people I’ve talked to don’t want to all their eggs in one basket (FRES). FRES doesn’t do too many depts from start to finish. Some ambulance agencies in Islip township and Brookhaven township, all of fire island. 1 Fd in the 4th, and some fire depts in the 5th, 6th and 7th divisions. That’s it. Everybody else has their own in house, or other agency that provides services. FRES activations will be on UHF. And like EMS now with FRES, all agencies that need to communicate with them will be over the 800mhz system which is being combined with a new 700mhz system for expansion to accommodate more users. 800 mobiles and portable are super expensive and the county has to program the equipment because they own the system so good luck with that! They should have taken the unused Medcom VHF freqs and used those for paging and allowed depts to use them as well. That way depts can use their own dispatchers and be heard countywide. Even if a Dept uses their own paging freq the county should have insisted depts simulcast activations with the county paging freq or announce calls over it. It’s good to know what’s going on out there. Once 46.46 is gone totally, most will be in the dark, unless you monitor 100 plus paging frequencies.

[ Edited Wed Feb 21 2018, 04:42am ]
Posted: Wed Feb 21 2018, 04:40am

Here’s the link from the FRES power point.

[link]
Posted: Wed Feb 21 2018, 04:48am
Posted by: ipfd320Posts: 1864
User Buff Group ID
Account terminated as requested

Really--When i Lived in NY FRES was the Worst Dispatching i,ve Ever Heard--Not Only do They Come in Crappy It Takes them Forever to Answer Units Calling Them---This Sounds Like its Going to be a Big Tabacle

FRES was Still Dispatching on the 155.280 Along with Babylon Central for Vollie Ambulance Companies---are The Going to Dismantle the VHF ? Even tho It Works so Well
Posted: Wed Feb 21 2018, 11:53pm
Posted by: Dave3825usPosts: 1219
Old Display Name: Dave
Premium Member Premium MemberJoined: Fri Mar 24 2006, 10:47pm

In the end, won't everyone listening to these 2 new freqs be able to hear what's going on in the county?
Posted: Thu Feb 22 2018, 03:06am

No because if my agency has our own dispatch and own paging freq, why do I need FRES to activate us on an alternate county paging channel? So they can have job security? No thanks.
Posted: Thu Feb 22 2018, 04:46pm

Posted by: DispatchPosts: 525
Old Display Name: Dispatch

I hate to be a party pooper but the truth of the matter is the younger generation are not radio monitoring for calls but instead are relying on internet based apps and digital platforms such as Twitter Feeds, Pulse Point, Group Me, Active 911, SCM, Red Alert texting and Broadcastify.

Furthermore, I personally resent the anti FRES opinions posted here. While the Communications Bureau may not be perfect, through Training and Technology, they have come a very long way from relying on using index cards and the Hagstom Atlas.

Posted: Fri Feb 23 2018, 02:32am

While all the text paging, internet based stuff is a nice tool - it should never and was never meant to replace radio communication alerting. I know depts that have turned off text paging for members so they would start carrying pagers again. The internet based and devices that rely on cell service shouldn’t be used as a primary means of alerting, as they’re less reliable than fire pagers. And all I said about FRES is them backing depts in a corner being the only agency allowed to alert on those 2 UHF freqs. I don’t think they took a good survey of ideas and concerns from the depts, they just went ahead and did it. If that upsets you, sorry but it’s the truth. All they’re doing is pushing depts further in the dark and further away from interop. They have good dispatchers and they have weak ones - like every agency in the world.

[ Edited Fri Feb 23 2018, 02:33am ]
Posted: Sat Feb 24 2018, 02:23am

Posted by: DispatchPosts: 525
Old Display Name: Dispatch

Your interoperability arguement doesnt hold water guy. The fire service leadership had an opportunity to be part of the county 800 trunked radio system 25+ years ago but turned it down. The volunteer ambulance service leadership said yes. The fire service wanted to build their own stand alone legacy repeater systems on UHF and UHF-T bands because they didn't want to share low band sector channel with their neighbors.

The new FRES countywide paging channels are merely designed to replace low band 46.46. It has absolutely nothing to do with operations / interoperability.
W2LIE.net Scanner Programming
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF