W2LIE.net: To submit your own quote, Click Here!

Submit your quote!
http://www.w2lie.net/sales
Sponsored By:
http://www.breakingnewsnetwork.com     http://www.scannermaster.com/?Click=6262
  http://www.monitorlongisland.com/advertise

Main Menu
Monthly Donations

Please help support this site
Donations will be used to cover monthly web space
Thank You !!

Premium Membership
You are not a Premium Member

Why not sign up today and take advantage of premium benefits?
Benefits include:
  • shopping discounts
  • Web Controlled Radio
  • Immediate Access to Archived Audio
  • Ad Free Browsing

Please Click here for more info

Welcome Guest
Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
 Currently Online (21)
There are 11990 members
Newest member: mjwaller

Last Visitors
 Members on Today: 4

Forums
W2LIE.net | Monitor Long Island, Inc. :: Forums :: Scanner Radio :: Long Island - General
Moderators: w2lie, Chieftaz, BobLandau, quint14, LI_Scan_Guy, cwerner, DecodeUp
Go to page       >>  

Active users of Low Band on Long Island

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>

Print View Posted: Tue Feb 07 2017, 08:36pm
Posted by: Darkstar350Posts: 811

It seems that low band is somewhat dying - whether it be from lack of equipment support or some fancy radio company is selling former low band users a "bag of tricks"
There still is some low band activity on the island - namely Fire Depts but we can post whoever else is still actively operating on low band in this thread
Try to post only confirmed activity not just active FCC licenses...

Educational Bus Transportation [link]

Garden City Schools [link]

*Village of Floral Park [link] [link]

Town of Hempstead Special districts [link] [link]

**Hirsch Fuels Inc. [link]

*Village of Lynbrook [link]

Nassau County Fire [link]

New York State DOT [link] [link]

Suffolk County Fire [link]

*Active in the past year or so but not very recent as in the past few months
**Uncertain

[ Edited Tue Feb 07 2017, 08:39pm ]

Posted: Wed Feb 08 2017, 05:32pm

I have mentioned this one in another thread but i can confirm that they use PL 103.5
What i heard just seemed to be radio checks once in a while but as far as i know they are using these freqs some of the time
I suppose the Suffolk people can confirm

Suffolk County Water Authority [link] [link]

Also for those on the east end - the Town of Brookhaven [link] and Riverhead [link]
Are they still using their low band frequencies? I see they are in the Radioreference database confirmed
I have been meaning to plug those freqs in to see if i catch anything...

Posted: Thu Feb 09 2017, 05:57am

I forgot - Brookhaven is actually on the 800mhz system
I will still try their low band freq

It looks like the town of Huntington has a couple low band freqs confirmed in the RRDB
One of them being expired [link]
And the other [link] which is supposedly in use by their highway dept. is actually a statewide OEM frequency

Keep in mind that low band is not always used for high power/big antenna type applications
Low band is also used in intercom/wireless mic type devices
Posted: Fri Feb 10 2017, 07:03pm

Turns out i had the Riverhead freq(33.10) in one of my radios for a while
I dont think i have heard a peep on it

Its also licensed to the village of Amityville [link] Plainedge schools [link] and oddly enough New York City [link]

Strange about the NYC license
Possibly a left over from many moons ago when the buses were on low band ?...

oddjob
Posted: Fri Feb 10 2017, 08:01pm

Posted by: DC2DLSDRPosts: 288
User Buff Group ID

[quote]
Turns out i had the Riverhead freq(33.10) in one of my radios for a while
I dont think i have heard a peep on it

Its also licensed to the village of Amityville [link] Plainedge schools [link] and oddly enough New York City [link]

Strange about the NYC license
Possibly a left over from many moons ago when the buses were on low band ?...

oddjob

[/quote1486755346]

I don't think NYCBOE ever owned school buses, if they did I never saw them, as far back as I can recollect NYCBOE contracted with New York Bus Service for student transportation now they contract with Yellow Bus Service. I know some years ago NYCBOE & NYCTA implemented a Metro Card Program for students to take the subways & MTA buses which was the worst thing they could have ever done, those brats used those cards to go everywhere but school, The more enterprising ones would swipe grown people in for pay or sell their swipes to dupes for cash then report them stolen & get new swipes. No matter what type of system you implement to benefit hard working taxpaying NYC subway riders some mutt will always find a way to scam it.

[link]

[link]

[link]
Posted: Fri Feb 10 2017, 08:33pm
Posted by: Nawton!Posts: 260

Do you know what frequency Yellow Bus Svc. uses? I searched the FCC database for both "Yellow Bus" and "Lormic" (the name that appears on the website you provided) and I got no results.
Posted: Fri Feb 10 2017, 09:19pm

User Buff Group ID

I came up empty too even on AntennaSearch & Google satellite 3D street view shows some small building with no antenna to be seen on or near it which obviously is the company HQ but the actual bus garage or garages is somewhere else, that probably is where the actual transmitter or control point is located. Even that's no guarantee because whatever they're using for communications it may be hidden in one of the many ancient LTR or other trunked embedded network systems that seems to be the newest flavor nowadays.
Posted: Fri Feb 10 2017, 10:07pm

I was referring to the actual NYC Transit buses because i recall hearing somewhere that at one time they were on some low band system the city had
probobly going back to the days of Ralph Kramden

and yeah theres still a few active LTR systems in the city which a lot of school buses operate on...

Posted: Sat Feb 11 2017, 01:41am

User Buff Group ID

Darkstar350 wrote ...

I was referring to the actual NYC Transit buses because i recall hearing somewhere that at one time they were on some low band system the city had
probobly going back to the days of Ralph Kramden

and yeah theres still a few active LTR systems in the city which a lot of school buses operate on...

Yes GM had the MABSTOA "who ran out of depots in the Bronx & upper Manhattan" (who absorbed 5th Avenue Bus Company & some other bus company) bus contract in the 60's & some of their buses were on low band around 30 MHz+ according to CRB which was the source for scanner frequencies back then. The antennas were white fiberglass & monstrous in size, they looked like huge upside down canoes on the roofs. The NYCTA buses were on VHF high band, their antennas were a white or blue fiberglass version of the venerable metal Sinclair blades on the subway trains.

[link]

For the life of me I could not find one picture of the old MABSTOA buses with their low band antennas on them but you can just make out the VHF blade antenna on the top of these NYCTA buses.

Posted: Sat Feb 25 2017, 04:51pm

And just to think the buses went from those old analog radio systems , to trunked and now new space age radios possibly Tetra but i think the FCC nixed that

"One of these days Alice were gonna get a new space age radio system with towers on the moon ! "

Heres another mystery
"Glen Cove DPW" in the RRDB as 37.94 PL 186.2 [link]
No license listed
I searched the FCC far and wide and i didnt even find a expired/archive license for Glen Cove
That aside - i do recall hearing snow plows/DPW type ops on that frequency and tone
What i did find was a expired license for the Town of Babylon [link]
On the north shore with the elevation you can get great reception and be able to receive things from far away
So what im thinking is whoever confirmed that may have been in the area of Glen Cove but was actually picking up the Town of Babylon DPW at one time or another...

W2LIE.net Scanner Programming
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF